Monday, March 02, 2009

Progressive Income taxes

I hear almost daily someone wishing our tax system was more progressive, meaning obviously that the 'rich' paid more in taxes, and the 'middle class' and 'poor' paid less. President Hopenchange has capitalized on those desires with his whole 'no increased taxes if you make less than $(fill in an etheral number here) a year', and the unspoken corollary, 'and greatly increased taxes if you make more than said amount'.

Let's look at the FACTS though (straight from the IRS, for 2003, apologies for the crappy layout):

Income . . . . . Share of Total . . . . . . . . . . . . .Share of Income
Group . . . . . . Adjusted Gross Income (%) . . . . .Taxes (%)
Top 1%. . . . . . 16.77 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 34.27
Top 5% . . . . . 31.18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54.36
Top 10% . . . . 42.36 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 65.84
Top 25% . . . . 64.86 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 83.88
Top 50% . . . . 86.01 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 96.54
Bottom 50% . . 13.99 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.46

So, the top 1%, earning just 17% of the income, PAYS 34% OF THE TAXES. (Yes, I'm shouting. My wife would be saying 'Don't use that tone of voice with me'). That IS the definition of progressive, the tax rates we have right now. Keep going down the list: the top 10%, earning 42% of the income, pay almost 66% of the taxes.

I think the biggest indicator of the state of our country is the last line. The bottom 50% of income earners, pay only 3.46% of the taxes. That sounds fairly unburdened to me. Can anyone explain to me how this ISN'T progressive? How the 'rich' aren't paying 'their fair share'?

If you want to raise the issue of payroll taxes, I'd be happy to talk about privatizing Social Security. Yes, even with the market tanking, I'd rather had been investing that 12% of my income myself, rather than handing it over to Uncle Sam to not even make enough to keep pace with inflation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home